During these uncertain times, how can we help?

As the world leader in volunteerism we feel a responsibility to unite our broader community, and to use this moment to become stronger.

See below to participate in our Impact Sector survey, access our COVID-19 Resource Hub, and explore our growing directory of COVID-19-specific and virtual volunteering opportunities.
Read More
  • Cherry Blossom Breast Cancer Foundation Cherry Blossom Breast Cancer Foundation


  • Interest area icon
  • Interest area icon
  • Interest area icon

Volunteer with us!

Subscribe Get an RSS feed of these Opportunities
Please wait . . .

Mission Statement

The Foundation's mission is to Detect, Treat, Educate, and Eliminate breast cancer: To raise and award funds for breast cancer detection, for breast cancer treatment, for education on the importance of early and regular screenings, and for research to eliminate the disease. Approximately 80% of the Foundation's grants will continue to be granted to charities and non-profits in Fauquier and Loudon counties, with the other 20% to regional research.


The Cherry Blossom Breast Cancer Foundation was created in honor of Cheryl Clayton Atkins, whose childhood nickname was "Cherry Blossom." Her death from breast cancer and her wish that her husband would work to make life better for those who followed her, were the motivations for the formation of the Foundation. In 2006, her husband and some of her friends began their breast cancer effort.

In our first three years, we were part of Middleburg's Piedmont Community Foundation and concentrated our fundraising in Middleburg with Nanette's Walk, a two-mile breast cancer walk. The event honored Nanette Hewitt White, a beloved civic leader of the Middleburg community, who lost a ten-year battle against breast cancer. Grants from the proceeds were made in Leesburg, Middleburg, Warrenton and Georgetown to organizations helping women fight breast cancer.

In late 2009, we decided to expand the fundraising beyond Middleburg to Leesburg and to Fauquier's county seat of Warrenton. We realized this significant growth would be better accomplished in a standalone nonprofit foundation. Thus, in November 2009, the Cherry Blossom Breast Cancer Foundation was incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The IRS granted us status as a 501(3) Public Charity, effective November 2009, so that all donations are tax-deductible as allowed by IRS regulations.

The expansion is centered on three simultaneous Walks/5K runs for breast cancer on October 10, 2010 in Leesburg, Middleburg, Warrenton, all named "Cherry Blossom Walks for Breast Cancer and 5K Runs. Conducted during national Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Walks' net financial objective is $300,000, 80% of which will be awarded to Fauquier and Loudoun charities and nonprofits for breast cancer detection, treatment and education; 20% will be granted to regional research.



Report this organization


Would you recommend Cherry Blossom Breast Cancer Foundation?