Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Lupus Foundation of America (LFA) is the nation's leading nonprofit voluntary health organization dedicated to finding the causes of and cure for lupus and providing support and services to all people affected by lupus.
The Georgia Chapter is proud to be led by a strong Board of Directorswho provide governance, strategic advice and development assistance.
In addition, the Medical Advisory Board is an organization of physicians and health care workers devoted to the treatment of lupus and related diseases with two main goals: 1) to educate patients as well as the general public throughout the state of Georgia, and 2) to support research that fosters excellence in the care of patients or advances our understanding of the disease.
The Georgia "chapter family" includes lupus patients, families, volunteers and over 30 support groups comprising the largest support network in the nation. Our expanded Medical Advisory Board donates their time and expertise at our symposiums and shares our resources with their patients. Our Chapter Boards and corporate sponsors contribute funds and raise awareness that inspire patients and families. This spring, 8,000 walkers united at the Atlanta Walk at Piedmont Park, still the largest LFA Walk in the nation and the first to raise over $500,000! The Walk is a huge family reunion, an all day celebration that will "change the way you see lupus,"states Angela Maselli, a veteran volunteer.
Our footprint in Georgia is far larger than our small fiscal budget and staff reaching 93 counties. The Chapter is a lifeline and voice of hope. We are here to listen and to make sure everyone with lupus receives answers and support. For many living with lupus, the greatest challenge is a lack of understanding; patients often feel they are the only ones who "don’t look sick." We have an incredibly powerful story that needs much more awareness and support. Our family must be strong, as lupus is relentless. Like families, we never forget those we have lost to lupus.
Every donation helps our efforts to solve the cruel mystery of lupus. Ninety percent of every dollar donated stays in Georgia to ensure the Chapter continues to provide the only statewide lupus programs and resources including nine statewide symposiums and seminars.
The cruel mystery does not daunt us. Join our family in the fight to end lupus!
Our new and expanded programs, events and resources for patients include:
- Our nine community Empowerment Symposiums and Annual Lupus Summit in Atlanta supported by our Chapter’s Medical Advisory Board
- Our Georgia Lupus Support Network, more than 30 statewide support groups, traditional and online
- Our statewide "Could You Have Lupus?" education brochure in doctor’s offices to raise awareness and improve diagnosis
- Free statewide teleconference series with experts on critical topics for any patient statewide
- Our empowering Lupus Awareness Day at the Georgia State Capitol
- The Ad Council "Could I Have Lupus?" campaign in the media
- The Atlanta Walk to End Lupus Now, still the largest single LFA walk in the country
- Other chapter events include our Annual Drive to End Lupus Now and Night of Hope Gala
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!