During these uncertain times, how can we help?

As the world leader in volunteerism we feel a responsibility to unite our broader community, and to use this moment to become stronger.

See below to access our COVID-19 Resource Hub, and to explore our growing directory of COVID-19-specific and virtual volunteering opportunities.
Read More

Sponsors for Educational Opportunity

Cause Area

  • Children & Youth
  • Education & Literacy

Location

55 Exchange Place6th FloorNew York, NY 10005 United States

Organization Information

Mission Statement

To prepare young people of color to lead by example in their families, communities and careers

Description

The SEO Scholars Program

The SEO Scholars Program is a rigorous out-of-school academic enrichment program that prepares motivated New York City public high school students of color to gain admission to and succeed at competitive colleges and universities throughout the country. Numerous studies confirm that rigorous academics are the single most important factor for low-income and minority students in gaining college admission and earning a degree. However, U.S. Department of Education research shows that "A" work in low-income schools equals "C" work in affluent schools.

The Scholars Program adds the equivalent of 60 school days to the NYC public school calendar each year. Scholars dedicate 80% of their time at SEO to academics, with the remaining 20% spent on enrichment and leadership activities. Students in the program acquire:

  • sharpened critical reading and writing skills

    increased vocabulary and grammar competence

    advanced math proficiency

    travel abroad and leadership experiences

    college knowledge and guidance

    mentors during junior and senior year

Reviews

Would you recommend Sponsors for Educational Opportunity?
0 reviews Write a review

Report this organization