The Henry Nehrling Society, Inc
- Education & Literacy
LocationPOBOX 8842267 Hempel AveGotha, FL 34734 United States
The Mission of the Henry Nehrling Society is to preserve Dr. Nehrling's historic home and gardens in Gotha, Florida, and provide a History and Horticultural Education Center focusing on environmental conservation and to:
- Honor Dr. Nehrling's horticultural and ornithological achievements.
- Preserve the remaining historical home and gardens in Gotha, Florida.
- Recognize the community's historical and German-American cultural heritage.
- Teach environmentally sound gardening and landscaping practices through horticultural classes and demonstration gardens; provide education for wetlands restoration and conservation.
- Assist in the conservation and protection of natural resources in Central Florida.
The Henry Nehrling Society, Inc. was established in 1999 by a group of concerned citizens to preserve Dr. Nehrling's home and horticultural legacy. In 2000, the Society incorporated as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit public charitable organization. The Society's first accomplishment was having Palm Cottage Gardens placed on the National Register of Historic Places in November 2000. Since then the Society has focused on educating the public about Dr. Nehrling's importance to the horticultural history of Florida. In November 2009, the Society acquired the home and gardens to accomplish its purpose as stated below.