Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Autism Speaks is dedicated to funding global biomedical research into the causes, prevention and treatments for autism; to raising public awareness about autism and its effects on individuals, families, and society; and to bringing hope to all who deal with the hardships of this disorder.
Autism is part of a group of disorders known as autism spectrum disorders. It is a complex brain disorder that can inhibit a person's ability to communicate, respond to surroundings and form relationships.
Facts about Autism
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the United States
- Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys
- Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
- Autism costs the nation over $126 billion per year, a figure expected to increase over the next decade
- There is no medical detection for autism.