Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Mission of the Domestic Violence Center is to promote and preserve non-violent, non-abusive family systems through intervention, prevention, and education.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE STATISTICS
- More than 32 million Americans are affected by domestic violence each year.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women.
- The majority of domestic violence victims are women. 1 in 3 women report being physically or sexually abused by a husband or boyfriend at some point during their lives.
- Battered women are not the only victims of abuse - it is estimated that anywhere between 3.3 million and 10 million children witness domestic violence annually. Research demonstrates that exposure to violence can have serious negative effects on children’s development.
- Of the approximately 1.7 million incidents of workplace violence that occur in the US every year, approximately 18,700 (1.1 percent) are committed by an intimate: current or former spouse, lover, partner, or boyfriend/girlfriend.
- According to the U.S. Department of Justice, between 1998 and 2002:
* Of the almost 3.5 million violent crimes committed against family members, 49% of these were crimes against spouses.
* 84% of spouse abuse victims were females, and 86% of victims of dating partner abuse at were female.* Wives were more likely than husbands to be killed by their spouses.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!