Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Our purpose is to celebrate and support one another through the joys and challenges of raising a child with Down syndrome. We come together to build a better future for our children by breaking down stereotypes and raising awareness of all they can do.
The Silicon Valley Down Syndrome Network focuses efforts on:
- Supporting families when they first receive a diagnosis of Down syndrome
- Building community to support and learn from one another's experiences in raising a child with Down syndrome
- Raising awareness within our local communities to increase acceptance for individuals with Down syndrome
- Serving our families through educational programs, seminars, and resources to improve quality of life
- Sponsoring events for our self-advocates
The Silicon Valley Down Syndrome Network (SVDSN) is a group of families with children born with Down syndrome. We come from all walks of life, and our common goal is to provide a community of support for individuals with Down syndrome and their families.
All of SVDSN's events and activities are organized by volunteers from the group. The group has monthly family dinners and organizes the Bay Area Buddy Walk every October. Buddy Walk funds support the group's programs and events throughout the year. These events include family outings and sporting events, outreach to show our support for the local research community, and speakers for family education. The coming year promises even more fun with tween/teen dances and activities, "Art and Music Mornings" for the younger set, and added educational activities for families. We will also focus on a larger outreach effort to support families when they first receive diagnosis.