"We speak for the Virginia’s river history."
Virginia Canals and Navigations Society was organized in 1977 to:
1. Encourage and participate in the preservation and enhancement of Virginia’s rich waterways heritage.
2. Research the documentary and archaeological record of Virginia’s waterways and related subjects.
3. Collect, process, maintain and display materials and artifacts pertaining to Virginia’s waterways and related subjects.
4. Publish and disseminate data relating to various aspects of Virginia’s waterways past, present and future.
5. Promote the development of certain waterway routes into amenity facilities for the enjoyment of the general public.
6. Preserve and restore waterway routes and sites and to encourage others to do the same.
7. Act as custodian where feasible and beneficial to the Society’s interest of real property of waterways significance.
8. Develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships among Society members, other concerned governmental agencies at all levels,waterway enthusiasts and the general public.