Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of the Polish American Association, a human service agency, is to serve the diverse needs of the Polish community in the Chicago metro area by providing resources for changing lives, with emphasis on assisting immigrants.
CORE VALUES We believe that:
- Each client of PAA is a unique individual with different concerns and abilities and shall be treated with dignity, respect, and trust
- PAA programs and services shall assist in the empowerment of people as individuals so that they may reach their full potential in all aspects of their lives
- PAA programs and services shall be most effective when a holistic approach is taken to individual needs
- PAA shall make every effort to respond to the unmet and well researched needs within the Polish community by providing programs and services not available elsewhere
- PAA shall advocate on behalf of those within the Polish community who may not be able to speak for themselves
- PAA shall foster linkages and collaborative efforts with other human service agencies and also within the extended Polish community, including persons most comfortable speaking either the English or Polish language
Literacy Courses are geared toward individuals with basic theoretical knowledge of English grammar, who wish to learn proper spoken English. During a structured conversation with a trained, volunteer tutor, they learn correct pronunciation, to eliminate common grammar mistakes and learn new, more advanced vocabulary.
Students have the opportunity to get a glimpse into a more subtle American culture by exchanging views and opinions with their American tutors. An individual approach to their specific needs makes them quickly grasp the language they need to get more rewarding and satisfying careers, or get into college. The sessions are usually once a week, at a place and time mutually agreeable to student and tutor, usually at our PAA facility, public libraries, community centers or university campuses.
- Alina Matel
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!