Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Massachusetts Adoption Resource Exchange -MARE finds "a permanent place to call home" for the hardest-to-place children and teens in state foster care who are waiting to be adopted.
We build safe, stable families for the state's neediest children by giving them (and their need for adoption) the widest possible exposure to the general public while guiding and supporting potential adoptive families throughout the adoption process.
Our No. 1 goal is to find a safe and nurturing permanent family for every child in Massachusetts foster care who cannot be reunited with his/her birth family. So far, MARE has helped more than 6,000 children and teens leave state care for permanent family life - but more youth need our services every week.
MARE works mostly behind the scenes to
- DEVELOP a PROFILE of each local youth in need of adoption,
- DESIGN a targeted plan to recruit potential parents for each waiting child,
- INFORM adults about the general need for adoptive families,
- EDUCATE prospective families about the adoption process, supports and benefits,
- MATCH prospective parents with specific children awaiting adoption,
- MOVE more youth from temporary foster care to permanent family life in the area.
MARE is the organization behind the Wednesday's Child profiles on WBZ TV and Sunday's Child in the Boston Sunday Globe, as well as nearly 30 other media outlets. We create the Heart Gallery photography exhibit of children in need of adoption. We host Adoption Parties to give children awaitng adoption the chance to get together with their peers, and to meet adults interested in adoption in a low key setting.