Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
PowerPlay NYC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and empowering girls through sports, teaching life skills such as teamwork, leadership, persistence, and tolerance, and fostering self-confidence and self-esteem for life. Our sports and life skills training programs provide girls in low-income, underserved communities the opportunity to
(i) experience the competence, confidence, and connectedness so critical to healthy adolescent development and
(ii) learn and adopt healthy living habits
Our STARS (Sports Training and Role Models for Success) programs reflect the fundamental principles of PowerPlay:
Girls who participate in sports are more likely to feel better about their bodies and have higher levels of self-esteem than girls who do not play sports. PowerPlay programming focuses on teaching girls fundamental skills in a variety of sports so they become confident in their athletic abilities and enjoy playing. The PowerPlay program setting also provides a safe space for expression and discussion, creating an optimal environment for health, wellness, and life skills learning activities.
- STARS Series: an after-school sports/healthy living program for girls ages 8-14 which teaches fundamental sports/fitness skills and facilitates learning and discussions about health and wellness topics, utilizing the GoGirlGo curriculum created by the Women’s Sports Foundation.
- SuperSTARS Summer Leadership Academy: an intensive eight-week summer program, which provides opportunities for high school girls to (i) learn and participate in a variety of sports, (ii) develop workplace, leadership, and life skills, (iii) interact with women in a variety of careers, (iv) engage in health and wellness learning, (v) explore the college admissions process, and (vi) participate in STARWorks two-week mini-internships.
- Rising STARS Summer Program: a six-week summer program providing middle school girls the opportunity to (i) learn and participate in a variety of sports, (ii) develop life skills for success, (iii) engage in health and wellness learning, (iv) explore the high school admissions process, and (v) participate in communications-based group projects.
- SuperSTARS Symposia: a program that provides monthly programming and events, including college trips, sports and cultural events, mentoring lunches and community service for Leadership Academy participants.
- GirlPower Days: half or full day events with sports clinics and educational workshops on topics such as nutrition, goal setting and gender equity.
- Replay: a program to to collect and distribute gently used sporting equipment in order to provide girls with the necessary equipment to succeed in, and enjoy sports.