Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven is a nonprofit organization with a mission to revitalize selected neighborhoods in New Haven. Over time, our mission has evolved to focus on positioning New Haven’s neighborhoods to succeed by increasing homeownership; making homes beautiful, functional, and affordable; and helping residents take charge of their neighborhoods. We believe that increased owner-occupancy rates, educated homebuyers, and rehabilitated houses will produce stable, revitalized neighborhoods that our clients will be proud to call home.
During the course of our 33-year history, the Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven has fully renovated and sold almost 300 houses to low- and moderate-income families. Through our HomeOwnership Center, we have been putting nearly 500 families a year on the path to homeownership through our homebuyer education classes and clinics. Over time, NHS has emerged as a premier provider of affordable, sustainable homeownership opportunities and homebuyer education in the Greater New Haven area and a champion of neighborhood revitalization throughout the region. We are a chartered member of the national NeighborWorksNetwork .
Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven and its subsidiary, the New Haven HomeOwnership Center, have accomplished the following through December 2012:
- Completed 7 "gut" rehabilitation projects (to Energy Star and historic standards), producing 7 homeownership units and 5 affordable rental units
- Invested more than $2.5 million in the purchase and rehabilitation of houses throughout New Haven, with an emphasis on the Dwight, Hill, and Newhallville neighborhoods
- Provided $790,000 in direct subsidies of development projects through the Connecticut Housing Tax Credit Program and Historic Homes Rehabilitation Tax Credit Program
- Responded to basic inquires from 628 clients expressing an interest in homeownership
- Provided pre-purchase homebuyer education to 254 prospective homebuyers
- Helped 146 prospective homebuyers purchase a home
- Held 12 financial literacy classes with 88 participants
- Registered 228 participants in 24 post-purchase home maintenance and energy-saving classes
- Counseled 555 homeowners who faced foreclosure
- Helped 102 clients obtain mortgage modifications that enabled them to stay in their homes
- Provided 28 homeowners with $82,127 in rescue funds that enabled them to modify their mortgages and avoid foreclosure
- Hosted 32 volunteer events for a total of 2,570 hours to help improve physical conditions within our neighborhoods and rebuild communities
- Daniella Beltran
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!