Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Friends of the East Broad Top, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, tax-exempt educational and historical society dedicated to the preservation and restoration of the East Broad Top Railroad National Historic Landmark in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania.
Based on this mission, FEBT and its members are currently engaged in many activities; the following are the most important:
- Promotion of public awareness of the EBT as a unique historic resource and encouragement for its current operations.
- Cooperation with the owners of the EBT; federal, state, and local government agencies; and other interested groups and individuals to assure the continued existence of the EBT, to mitigate threats to it, and to promote plans for future restoration.
- Development of a museum complex in Robertsdale, the southern operating terminus of the EBT. (Currently, FEBT volunteers maintain a seasonal visitor center in the restored EBT Robertsdale Depot and are working on full rehabilitation of the companion Old Robertsdale Post Office building to house FEBT's collection of EBT artifacts, memorabilia, and historical and technical archives.)
- Restoration of the a EBT passenger-baggage car (Combine No. 16), held by FEBT under 99- year lease. Also the acquisition of two other former EBT passenger cars, Combine #18 and Baggage #29 currently stored for future restoration.
- Monitoring the status and condition of structures, rolling stock, and other artifacts associated with the EBT, including artifacts and rolling stock not presently located within the existing National Landmark.
- Acquisition, preservation, and organization of collections of artifacts, documents, photographs, records, and other materials related to the EBT.
- Stabilization and restoration of buildings, track and rolling stock in Rockhill Furnace.
- Publication of a quarterly magazine, The Timber Transfer. Articles focus on the history of the EBT; its current condition, operations, and future; description and documentation of buildings, rolling stock, and other EBT resources; and other information for railroad historians, railfans, and railroad modelers interested in the EBT.
- Encouragement of authors intending to write books, articles, and other publications concerning the history and heritage of the EBT and the region surrounding it.
- Organization of meetings and programs for FEBT members, including an annual Fall Reunion, and special public events that celebrate the EBT and its heritage.
- Encourage potential patrons of the East Broad Top to visit and ride the railroad by providing an information packet and free ticket to new riders.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!