Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Iyengar Yoga Association of Greater New York was formed by a dedicated and inspired group of teachers and practitioners in 1987 as a regional arm of the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States. Our aims were threefold: to support the teaching of Iyengar yoga throughout our four-state area, to establish a central place for study and teaching that would embody the highest standards of a transformational practice of yoga, and to connect our practitioners with others in the United States and throughout the world and to the source of our inspiration, B.K.S. Iyengar, our teacher.
Iyengar Yoga is a complete approach to physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual transformation, bringing physical health and vitality, mental clarity, wisdom, and emotional serenity.
Iyengar Yoga uses the physical reality of the body to know our minds and the deepest parts of ourselves as human beings. The infinite perfectibility of the postures or asanas provides a pathway into the development of our intelligence and our ability to concentrate and sustain focus. This intelligent practice develops our ability to grow and to separate what is worthwhile and productive from what to leave behind.
The method offers:
- A safe and systematic progression of yoga postures to develop each student's ability and skill, both within each class and from class to class
- Sequencing that develops strength, flexibility, stamina, concentration, and body alignment
- Highly developed teaching methodology
- Precise use of language
- Demonstration and teaching of specific points to develop understanding and intelligent action
- Individual correction and adjustment of students, when necessary
- Integration of the yoga philosophy with the practice of asana
- Relevance of practice and incorporation into daily life
- Ways to use yoga to ease various ailments and stress
- Use of props, such as blankets, blocks, and straps, to facilitate learning and adjust yoga postures to individual needs
- Qualified and rigorously trained instructors committed to excellence in teaching
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!