Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The purpose of the Atlanta Preservation Center is to enhance the City of Atlanta's quality of life by promoting the preservation, conservation, and renewal of Atlanta's architecturally, historically, and culturally significant buildings, neighborhoods, and landscapes through education and advocacy
The City of Atlanta continues to experience substantial growth as new high rise buildings are continually announced, the population grows each year, and in-fill housing is built. However, like many fast growing cities, Atlanta faces major challenges in the 21 st century. The City's celebrated quality of life and enthusiastic business environment attract commerce, residents, and visitors. But with this vigorous growth comes the big city problems of traffic, pollution, rising costs, and an aging infrastructure.
As Atlanta strives to compete with other world-class cities, it must protect the attributes that contribute to its unique charm. Along with its physical beauty and cultural amenities, Atlanta's diverse neighborhoods, historic buildings and districts are critical to its remaining an attractive place to live, work, and play.
The Atlanta Preservation Center was established in 1980 to help improve the quality of life and define the future character of our city. In its 29 years, the APC has helped preserve and/ or redevelop more than 200 endangered residential and commercial structures, neighborhoods, and landscapes. The APC continues to serve as:
A partner to the business community
- Promoting Atlanta and its rich history to visitors
- Facilitating economic development through historic preservation
A resource center for residents and their communities
- Educating children and adults through heritage education programs and walking tours
- Providing information and technical resources to local neighborhoods as they respond to changes in their neighborhood
A complement to other community-based organizations
- Using the APC's local focus to complement the state-wide efforts of the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation
- Using the APC's technical expertise on reuse and conservation to complement the smart growth initiatives of the Atlanta Regional Commission. Central Atlanta Progress, Beltline Commission, Georgia Conservancy, and others
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!