Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of the Niles Public Library District (NPLD) is to enrich the community by meeting its informational, educational, cultural and recreational needs by providing a wide variety of materials, resources, and services as well as a friendly, experienced and professional staff in a safe and welcoming environment.
Niles Public Library Facts and Figures
- On Apr 18, 1959, a referendum passed establishing the Niles Public Library District. The Library at that time is open 13 hours a week. The collection contains 3,600 books and 750 families have library cards.
- Today the Niles Public Library District serves over 58,000 residents in Niles and parts of unincorporated Des Plaines and Glenview.
- The current collection contains more than 275,000 items.
- The Library's annual circulation exceeds1.2 million loans.
- There are approximately 30,000 Niles Public Library cardholders.
- Nearly 120,000 individuals used the Library's computers and Wi-Fi services last year.
- 33,000 adults, teens and children attended Niles Public Library District programs in 2008.
- The library's online catalog and hundreds of online databases, accessible through our website 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, were accessed more than 20,000 times in 2008.
- Our public service desks answer an average of 15,000 questions each month.
- Through membership in the North Suburban Library System and ILLINET (the Illinois Network of Libraries) the Library provides patrons with additional access to millions of items owned by other libraries.
- Due to population growth and the need to provide quality public library service, the Library completed an expansion project that resulted in adding approximately 30,000 sq. ft. to the existing building in October 1998.
- The Library is governed by an elected seven member board. Through long range planning, the Board of Trustees ensures that high quality services and materials are available to patrons of the district.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!