Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Turtle Island Restoration Network's mission is to take swift and decisive action to protect and restore marine species and their habitats and to inspire people in communities all over the world to join us as active and vocal marine species advocates. The Sea Turtle Restoration Project (STRP), founded in 1989, is TIRN's oldest and largest project, and works to protect and restore endangered sea turtle populations worldwide in ways that meet the needs of the turtles and the needs of neighboring local communities using grassroots action, multimedia campaigns, hands-on conservation, environmental education, and litigation.
The Sea Turtle Restoration Project fights to protect endangered sea turtles in ways that make cultural and economic sense to the communities that share the beaches and waters with these gentle creatures. With offices in California, Texas, Papua New Guinea, and Costa Rica, STRP has been leading the international fight to protect sea turtle populations worldwide.
The goals of STRP are to:
- Protect and restore populations of endangered sea turtles to healthy conditions.
- Address the root causes of the sea turtle slaughter at both the policy and local level, especially related to fisheries.
- Address the needs of local economies by promoting the establishment of locally engineered sustainable development alternatives.
- Promote citizen participation in problem solving by developing educational campaigns that build links between activists in the affected countries and the US.
- Support emerging organizations in other countries in their call for international pressure to protect endangered sea turtles and our common marine resources.
STRP views the sea turtles' dilemma not only as a single-species environmental tragedy that needs immediate attention, but also as a vehicle for shifting the paradigm of how the human species views its relationship with the natural world.
- Maeve Murphy
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!