Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Student Coalition for Action in Literacy Education (SCALE) is a network of college students, adult learners, administrators, literacy practitioners and community partners working to implement and support participatory education and social change work in campus-based literacy programs. SCALE is part of the School of Education at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. We are committed to:
* Advocating for literacy education as a tool for the transformation of individuals and society - as a vehicle for social justice
* Increasing college student involvement in literacy
* Building on the idealism and enthusiasm of college students and supporting their successful civic participation
* Developing leadership opportunities and creating a mutual learning process for both college students and learners
* Sharing the principles and practices of participatory literacy
* Promoting literacy education that respects the communities and cultures of its participants
* Promoting partnerships between campuses and communities
* Linking the college student movement with local, state, regional and national organizations committed to literacy and social change
SCALE supports campus-based literacy programs across the country. In these programs, college students serve as literacy tutors or teachers in their community.
We work with all types of program models, including America Reads, Adult Basic Education, Youth Literacy & Mentoring, English as a Second Language (ESL), Family Literacy, GED Preparation, Workplace Literacy, and Advocacy and Activism programs.
Since its inception in 1989, SCALE has continued to bring together committed people who connect their work in literacy to social justice. The organization believes that there is more to literacy than simply reading and writing. Through trainings, publications and national meetings, SCALE serves as a national campus voice for individual and community empowerment through literacy.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!