- Children & Youth
- Education & Literacy
Location2401 Liberty Heights AvenueBaltimore, MD 21215 United States
Imagine Me Ministries, Inc (Imagine Me) is a (501c3) nonprofit youth development and mentoring organization whose mission is to Inspire Girls to Embrace a 'Life of Promise' and mature them into dynamic young women through long term mentoring relationships with caring adult woman. Serving preteen and teenage girls 6th to 12th grade in underserved and under-resourced communities of Baltimore City, Imagine Me concentrates on the "total" girl within an education-driven, peer to peer, faith-based learning context. Our program elements focus on social, academic, spiritual, physical, emotional, relational and behavioral aspects of being a female in today's world via partnerships with schools, churches, corporations, community organizations and other non-profit organizations.
Imagine Me was founded in 2007 and has served over 500 girls and matched over 80 girls with a one-on-one mentor. Mentoring is at the heart of what we do with many girls continuing in their match relationship for over ten years as they progress into adulthood. Imagine Me reaches beyond Baltimore City and serves girls detained from all over the State of Maryland at the Department of Juvenile Services in Laurel, Maryland. Imagine Me believes in equipping each girl with the right tools that will be instrumental to her success as she grows and develops from middle school to high school to college and beyond into adulthood.
Our overarching organizational goals are to:
1. Provide girls with the tools to make productive life choices in environments that provide long term, relentless support and accountability to ensure that right decisions become the norm and not an anomaly.
2. To increase high school choice acceptance, high school graduation, college preparation, acceptance and completion and career readiness in the underserved and under-resourced communities of the inner City of Baltimore and beyond.
Imagine Me offers a customized curriculum that focuses on delivering weekly in-school, after-school and out-of-school time program structures to promote healthy social and emotional development, academic achievement, cultural enrichment, college and career exploration, and healthy life skills for our middle and high school girls. As a result, Imagine Me girls develop leadership skills, positive character traits, personal accountability, communication skills, listening skills as well as a host of other life skills that are foundational to the pursuit and achievement of their goals throughout life.
Desired Mentor Characteristics
* Good Listener
* Prompt, consistent and dedicated
* Creative Problem solver
* Encouraging and supportive
* Patient and flexible
* Tolerant and respectful of individual differences
* Personal fulfillment by contributing to an individual's life and to the larger community
* Satisfaction in helping someone mature, progress and achieve goals
* Participation in a mentor support group
* Personal ongoing training, support and supervision to help match the need
* Mentee/Mentor group activities, such as field trips and complimentary tickets to community events
What is Your Role?
* Take the lead in supporting a young person through an ongoing, one-to-one relationship
* Serve as positive role model and friend
* Build the relationship by planning and participating in activities together
* Strive for mutual respect
* Help to increase self esteem and motivation
* Help to set goals and work toward accomplishing them
* Must have at least one character reference
* Must be at least 27 years old
* Must complete the application and screening process
* Adhere to all Imagine Me Ministries policies and procedures
* Commit to making weekly phone calls to check in with mentee
* Commit to meeting at least once per month with mentee in person