Mentor U Connect
- Children & Youth
- Education & Literacy
Location516 Highland AvenueNewark, NJ 07104 United States
Our program seeks to empower students with both the academic and social-emotional skills necessary to succeed in college and beyond. We seek to inspire, engage, and motivate high school students to pursue careers in STEM/Medicine/Business/Architecture. In order to ensure college students' career advancement in the industry, we will continue to support them through mentoring and social capital.
A mentor is . . .
A knowledgeable and experienced guide who teaches (and learns) through a commitment to the mutual growth of both mentee and mentor.
A caring, thoughtful, and humane facilitator who provides access to people, places, experiences, and resources outside the mentee's unsual environment.
A role model who exemplifies in word and deed what it means to be an ethical, responsible, and compassionate human being.
A trusted ally, or advocate, who works with (not for) the mentee and on behalf of the mentee's best interests and goals.
As a Mentor Coach, you are matched one-on-one with an ambitious, first-generation/ minority high school/college student and you have the opportunity to build a close mentoring relationship throughout the program. The Mentor Coach consists of a monthly 1 on 1 Meeting with Mentee, Participating in Workshops or Social Events, Connecting Mentees with Universities Programs, Providing Resources - through the Mentor U Network, Helping develop their leadership, resilience, and grit. Mentors donate an average of 35 hours during the school year.
A Mentor Must be
1. Must be at least 18 years old.
2. Must have access to an automobile and have a valid driver's license and car insurance or access to reliable public transportation (for community based).
3. Must be willing to make a commitment of self and time, which includes completion of an application, interview, home assessment, and training information.
4. Must not be involved, nor may any household member be involved, in any illegal activity, including drug use.
5. Must pass a background check