- Children & Youth
- Education & Literacy
Location137 Washington StreetNorwell, MA 02061 United States
Headquartered in Norwell, MA, empowerHER was formed in 2013 with a very specific mission-to empower, support and connect girls and young women who have experienced the loss of their mothers. empowerHER currently serves 350+ girls across the globe up to age 24 in a Mentor Match Program with positive role models who have also experienced the loss of their mothers. empowerHER additionally provides group events and retreats designed to build a supportive community and reduce isolation. empowerHER is community-based, volunteer-driven and non-therapeutic. All programs and activities are provided at no charge to the family and operates with a lean staff and hundreds of volunteers across the country.
empowerHER Mentors help girls and young women find their voice and remind them they are not alone in their grief. empowerHER Mentors are positive role models from the community, age 25+ and are of all ethnicity and backgrounds. Mentors are adult women who have also experienced the loss of their mothers. In other instances, Mentors have not experienced the loss of their mothers, however, they have overcome some of life's greatest challenges and know adversity. Mentors empower and support the girl in a safe and nurturing environment, utilizing best practices identified by empowerHER guidelines.
Mentor Eligibility Requirements:
* Be 25 years of age
* Be willing to adhere to all empowerHER policies and procedures
* Agree to a one-year recommended commitment to the program
* Commit to recommended monthly communication and/or activities with the assigned mentee Complete the screening procedure
* Agree to attend mentor trainings as required
* Be willing to communicate regularly with the Program Coordinator and submit check in feedback
* Meets requirements of empowerHER transportation policy
* Must meet empowerHER standards for clean criminal history - see attached criminal history policy.
Mentors do not replace the role of the mother or minimize the role of the father, stepmother or other family or friends in her life. Rather, our program is designed to offer additional support throughout the year for the girl and her family. In addition, we encourage our matches to attend our EVENTS for GIRLS as part of our larger empowerHER community.