Boys & Girls Club of Greater Holyoke
- Children & Youth
- Education & Literacy
Location70 Nick Cosmos WayHolyoke, MA 01040 United States
The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Holyoke (HBGC) is uniquely positioned to address the mentoring needs of at-risk youth residing in our area. HBGC delivers a proven youth development strategy, access to Club services several days a week, a clean and safe environment, life-changing programs, and the opportunity to receive mentoring experiences and relationships with diverse, trained and caring staff and volunteers in a supervised and structured environment.
Through extensive research, BGCA has identified certain elements that make it possible for Clubs to assure positive developmental experiences for youth. We have learned that the level of impact a Club has on young people depends on how often and how long members participate, and how well the Club implements five key elements:
1. A Safe, Positive Environment
3. Supportive Relationships
4. Opportunities and Expectations and
All mentors must meet the following criteria:
* Have a high school diploma or GED
* Be able to pass a background check
* Have proven experience working with high risk youth
* Have driver's license and 5 years of a clean driving record.
* Submit at least 3 personal, educational, or professional references
1. All mentors must submit a written application to be reviewed by Coordinator. Applicants must also submit at least 3 personal, educational, or professional references.
2. If selected, mentors interview with Coordinators and/or President of HBGC to review the expectations and matching process.
3. CORI and SORI (Sexual Offender Registry Information) checks are conducted by HBGC for mentors who pass the interview stage of process.
4. Once mentors pass CORI, SORI, and reference checks, they are invited to spend one day in program to observe youth, meet other staff, and experience the overall structure of the program.
5. All mentors complete a Mentor Questionnaire to be used in matching process and attend necessary training within first 2 weeks.