Coach a One Million Degrees Scholar
- Children & Youth
- Education & Literacy
Location180 N Wabash #310Chicago, IL 60601 United States
About One Million Degrees:
One Million Degrees (OMD) accelerates community college students' progress on pathways to economic mobility. Our unique scholar development model combines mentoring and coaching, tutoring, professional development and career planning, personal supports, and financial assistance to help OMD scholars graduate at double the rate of community college students nationwide.
One Million Degrees was founded in 2006 by a group of social entrepreneurs who understood the specific challenges facing a uniquely overlooked student population - community college students. Recognizing the fact that most of these students were failing to graduate and determined to change the odds, our founders developed a unique and highly successful program based on providing the kind of support that would make a meaningful difference. One Million Degrees believes that when given a solid system of support, every student has the ability to reach their full personal and professional potential.
Position Responsibilities: One Million Degrees Scholars are individuals pursuing their associate degrees. They have persisted through challenging situations and are striving to reach their full potential and become positive forces in their families and communities. As an OMD Coach, you will bring a wealth of knowledge, experience, and support to an OMD Scholar.
OMD Coaches broaden horizons of career aspirations and possibilities, provide professional insights, model professional norms and behaviors, and encourage scholars through challenges and setbacks. They assist scholars in thoughtful goal-setting, celebrate successes with their scholar and ensure they do not fall short of their potential.
OMD Coach qualifications:?
- Have at least an associate degree (or equivalent work experience).
- Have a passion for supporting community college students with diverse backgrounds, coaching them through challenges, and celebrating their successes.
Once you submit an application, OMD staff will reach out to help you complete the following requirements to become an OMD Coach:
- Attend a coach info session (30-minute online session). Multiple info sessions are held throughout the application period, in the spring and summer.
- Attend coach training (two-hour session, virtual for summer 2020). Multiple coach trainings are held throughout August and September.
- Agree to a criminal background check and to abide by One Million Degrees' Coach Code of Conduct.
Once you become an OMD Coach, you will be expected to:
- Schedule and participate in one 60-minute virtual Coaching Session per month with your scholar (October-May). ?
- Be available outside of monthly coaching sessions and commit to at least one phone or email exchange with your scholar per month.
- Submit a brief monthly activity report to One Million Degrees staff.
- Input scholar goals and deliverables using the OMD Coach Portal.
- Attend one 90-minute Diversity and Inclusion workshop.
- Notify your scholar and an OMD staff member if you are unable to attend a coach meeting or coaching session. Please note, OMD asks that coaches do not miss more than two coach meetings in an academic year.
One Million Degrees coaches transform lives. As part of our community of support, OMD Coaches work with our community college scholars throughout the year helping them set goals and motivating them in both their professional and personal journeys. OMD Coaches and substitute coaches contribute to their scholar's success as they encourage, motivate, offer perspective, and share knowledge. The process of cultivating the coaching relationship will help the scholar establish and work towards measurable goals, develop leadership skills and help the scholar excel academically and in life.