Big Brothers Big Sisters (Will, Grundy, Kankakee & Grundy Counties)
- Children & Youth
- Education & Literacy
Location417 W. Taylor StreetJoliet, IL 60435 United States
Providing one-to-one mentors to children in Will, Grundy, Kankakee & Iroqouis Counties, Illinois.
1.) COMMUNITY-BASED MENTORING: The traditional Big Brothers Big Sisters program, individuals or couples are matched with children ages 6 to 13, for a minimum of one year. The mentor & child typically meet approximately 2 times per month (3-4 hours) & engage in activities of their choosing (e.g. studying, cooking, playing sports).
2.) LUNCH BUDDIES: Adult volunteers spend 30 minutes of their lunch hour, 1 day a week with a child at an elementary school close to work or home.
3.) MENTOR 2.0: technology-enriched, email supported mentoring providing Joliet Township H.S. students support & guidance to graduate & succeed in college & the workforce.
Since 1970, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. As part of the nation's largest donor and volunteer supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers ("Bigs") and children ("Littles"), ages 6 through 18. We develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people.
Mission: is to help children reach their potential through one-to-one relationships with mentors that have a measurable impact on youth.
Vision: successful mentoring relationships for all children who need and want them, contributing to brighter futures, better schools, and stronger communities for all.
Being a Big Brother or Big Sister is one of the most enjoyable things you'll ever do. Not to mention, one of the most fulfilling. You have the opportunity to help shape a child's future for the better by empowering them to achieve. And the best part is, it's actually a lot of fun. You and your Little can share the kinds of activities you already like to do.
Offices located in JOLIET, MORRIS & KANKAKEE. Volunteer is matched with a child for the development of an ongoing, positive relationship, and meet 2-4 times per month for at least 1 year.
* Be 18 years of age
* Have a twelve (12) month residency in Will, Grundy, Kankakee or Iroquois County, or live in a bordering county (within 30 miles).
* Have a reliable means of transportation and a valid driver's license. Copies of the driver license will be kept in a volunteer's file.
* Have the minimum levels of automobile insurance as required by law if the individual is mentoring in a BBBS program where a child will be transported. Proof of insurance will be copied and kept in a volunteer's file.
* Demonstrate the following attributes: stable life-style, emotional maturity and responsible judgment; good general health, appropriate motivation for service; and ability to make a commitment to mentoring.
* Must be willing to work within agency's policies and guidelines.
* Must be willing to release information and authorization for police checks, counseling reports, service with other volunteer organizations, etc.