Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Would you like to be that one caring adult that makes all the difference for a child? Do you have one hour a week that you could contribute to a child’s success? If so, we’d love to have you become an AmeriCorps tutor in the AmeriCorps tutoring program at Whittier Elementary!
There are many children in our school who struggle with reading. Children who receive one on one tutoring not only progress quickly in their reading skills but also show an overall improvement in their academic confidence and develop more excitement about school and learning in general.
- A desire to make a difference for children
- A positive attitude towards reading and school in general
- Ability to commit to tutoring a child twice a week for 30 minutes each time for at least 10 weeks (ideally for the full 30 weeks of our tutoring program)
- Willingness to attend a 1-hour training that will teach the tutoring methods we use
- Commitment to following our tutoring program methods and systems