Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
In our drive to find a cure for NBIA, we provide support to families, educate the public and accelerate research with collaborators from around the world. Neurodegeneration with Brain Iron Accumulation (NBIA) disorders are a collection of 10 identified conditions all sharing the characteristic of excessive iron in the brain. The disorders have profound impact on those affected, and their families. They are ultra-rare disorders, affecting 1-3 people per million.
Founded in 1996, the organization conducts a variety of services in support of families while furthering research by granting funds, primarily raised by families affected by the disorders.
- To provide a supportive environment in which people affected by NBIA and their loved ones can share needs, concerns and experiences.
- To share up-to-date information about treatment and care options with all members of the NBIA community.
- To increase recognition of NBIA among clinicians and other healthcare professionals and promote early diagnosis and access to optimal care.
- To participate effectively in the international NBIA community and foster collaboration with our affiliated NBIA lay advocacy groups in other countries.
- To build an expanding base of committed contributors who will help provide funds to achieve our vision.
- To encourage, guide and fund research to improve understanding, diagnosis and treatment, and ultimately, find a cure for NBIA disorders.