Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
IMPROVING LIVES THROUGH BIKES, COMMUNITY AND CYCLING. We strive to enrich our community in Southwest Michigan and promote bicycles and bicycling as viable and sustainable community resources. We accomplish our mission through advocacy for bicycling as a preferred mode of transportation, by providing training in bicycle maintenance, care and safe riding practices, and by diverting bicycles from landfills to be recycled and reused within the community.
Cycle-Re-Cycle in Benton Harbor, MI a 501c(3) nonprofit community bike shop servicing greater Southwest Michigan. Some of our m:
- providing vocational education in a public work shop to participants & supporters
- providing relief to financially distressed and underprivileged citizens through access to low cost bicycles & repairs. In Benton Harbor only 1 out of 3 homes has a working licensed vehicle. Often the bicycle is the primary means of transportation
- lessening neighborhood tensions by bringing members of diverse communities together at our bike-shop working toward a common goal while sharing a fondness to bicycles.
- combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency by providing a clean, safe and healthy environment for local youth, unemployed adults, and some mentally challenged folks. A place where they can work together with others to contribute to their community;
- Low cost bicycles come from donations and from diverting used and discarded bicycles from landfills.
- Bicycle advocacy. Making it safe and friendlier for bikes on the roads in throughout the community now and in the future. Working with city planners, environmentalists, law enforcement, politicians & the community. Exciting days to come in Michigan for cyclists.