Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Our mission is "to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life"
Communities In Schools of San Antonio (CIS-SA) is a school-based, year-round program providing comprehensive case management services to young people facing obstacles to personal or academic success. Our caring professionals address students’ real life needs that, if gone unmet, can often result in dropping out of school. CIS-SA has been helping kids choose success since 1985 with the basic approach that programs don’t change kids--relationships do.
- Stay-in-school programs in 74 elementary, middle and high school campuses across Bexar County
- Talent Search and Upward Bound pre-college programs in 3 high schools and 3 middle schools, serving low-income, first generation college candidates
- Two non-traditional academies dedicated to helping young people achieve their diploma or GED
- One alternative school to help struggling students stay in school
- Providing intensive services to highly at-risk students throughout Bexar County at the Juvenile Justice Academy
- Over 1000 volunteers, mentors, and tutors, creating positive one-on-one relationships with kids
- Over 100 community, government, and business partners providing resources and expertise to support kids
WHY SUPPORT THE WORK OF COMMUNITIES IN SCHOOLS?
CIS-SA is making an extraordinary impact on the lives of students, families, schools and communities. We are the best solution to the broadest range of issues faced by young people today. By facilitating community service providers to work as a team in partnership with parents, teachers, principals, volunteers, and mentors, CIS-SA brings hands in need together with hands that can help. CIS-SA is the most efficient investment we can make in the future of our community.