Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
T he Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League, Inc. (MAGDRL) was organized in 1979 to serve the seven states of the Mid-Atlantic region. The organization is a DC corporation and has a charitable tax-exemption under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
MAGDRL is staffed completely by volunteers. Like all humane groups, MAGDRL is in the unique position of helping both humans and pets. In our case, the pets are Great Danes and mixed Dane dogs, and the people are those who have or want the companionship of the breed or, often, just dogs in general.
MAGDRL helps people to:
- Determine the right breed of dog for their lifestyle.
- Find healthy and companionable Danes that fit their circumstances.
- Find loving replacement homes for Danes they can no longer keep.
- Become knowledgeable about the care and training of their Great Danes.
- Resolve their Danes physical/behavioral problem.
- Overcome the grief at the loss of their loved pet.
- Stretch their tax dollar by assuming the Dane burden from public shelters.
MAGDRL helps Danes:
- By providing for the rescue and care of those who have been abandoned, neglected, and/or abused by their previous owners.
- We spay/neuter and provide medical treatment as necessary to return the Dane back to good health.
- We also supply training/socialization to ensure their adaptability to new, good homes.
- We work to place rescue Danes to people who provide secure, loving, and healthy homes.
Our adoption fee is $300 for dogs under 1 year of age, $275 for dogs over 1 year of age, and $175 for dogs over the age of 7.
- Phone Interview
- Written Application - We will mail this to you after the phone interview has been completed.
- Reference Checks - All references will be checked prior to home visit. We will contact your current vet, if you have one, for a reference.
- Home Visit - Avolunteer will come to your home to visit with you and discuss care of Great Danes. Also, the volunteer will look for any potential problems and check to be sure that your fencing is secure. Your home visit does not mean you have been approved.
- Approval - After the above steps have been completed all your information will be reviewed and a decision will be made about adoption. If at this point you are approved to adopt, your area coordinator will help guide you to the appropriate dog for your family.
- Contract - For the protection of the Great Danes we place, everyone that adopts a Great Dane from MAGDRL will be required to sign an adoption contract.
Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League Fact Sheet
Great Dane Rescue has between 70 and 90 Danes available for adoption at any given time.
- Founded in 1979
- MAGDRL has chapters that cover the following states: Lower NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, WV, NC, DC
- All of us are volunteers and not compensated
- We are a 501c3 non-profit organization
- There are approximately 700 volunteers in our group and several chapter coordinators
- We actively fundraise, and attempt to educate the public about our cause through the media
- We rescue and foster (in volunteers homes); there is no physical shelter location
- Applicants to adopt and foster go through a screening process in order to make the best possible match if they are approved
- Danes are rescued due to many situations; most are abandoned, neglected or abused. Many are given up because they "grew too big" and never received obedience training
- Danes weigh between 90 pounds to over 200 pounds; the average weight is 150 pounds
- Danes are referred to as "Gentle Giants", "Velcro Dogs", and "real-life Scooby Doos", because of their sweet and silly nature
- Danes in foster care are retrained if necessary and spayed or neutered. Foster homes continually update web information to give as good a profile of the Dane as possible
- We actively seek new volunteers/foster homes/donations
- We offer corporate sponsorships/virtual sponsorships
- Money raised pays for medical costs, kenneling in an emergency, administrative costs
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!