The Austin Public Library is looking for volunteers to help re-shelve books and other materials. Volunteers arrange library materials onto sorting carts in alphabetic and numeric order before shelving the materials in the stacks. Volunteers may also dust shelves, shelf read, and help keep reading areas tidy.
This position requires volunteers to push carts up to 75lbs and to bend, stoop, and stretch with or without reasonable accommodations. The position is best suited for those who love to organize. We require a 2 hour weekly commitment for a minimum of three months.
Flexible days/times available and may be found at one of our 23 locations.
Current openings include:
- Old Quarry Branch (7051 Village Center Dr., 78731) for Wednesday evenings.
- Manchaca Branch (5500 Manchaca Rd., 78745) for Friday mornings or afternoons.
- Ruiz Branch (1600 Grove Blvd., 78741) for weekday mornings, afternoons, and evenings.
- Twin Oaks Branch (1800 S. Fifth St., 78702) for Wednesday evenings,Friday morning or afternoon, and Saturday morning or afternoon.
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Library Sciences
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week for 3 months