Food Program Coordinator: Help a community of low income residents rescue local food!
The Low Income Housing Institute's largest community, the Frye Hotel Apartments, serves over 240 individuals, and is located in the heart of Seattle’ historic Pioneer Square neighborhood. Though most residents in this community rely on food stamps to help supplement their small incomes, they still regularly run out of food, especially towards the end of the month. We are looking for volunteers to help our most vulnerable residents access additional food resources.
Food program coordinator leads weekly food donation pick-ups with the help of 2-3 resident volunteers. Volunteers visit several restaurants in the downtown area, collect donated lunch items from our partner businesses, return to the Frye Apartments, package the food as needed, and distribute it to the residents.
Help ensure LIHI’s most vulnerable residents don't go hungry this winter!
Location and Working Conditions:
Frye Apartments are located at 223 Yesler Way in Seattle, WA. Volunteers pick up food donations using the local bus system. Bus tickets provided if requested.
Skills and Requirements:
- Be able to lift up to 5 lbs.
- Experience leading small groups preferred.
- Experience working with very-low-income and/or recently homeless adults a plus.
- Background check required.
Time commitment & schedule
3pm-5:30pm every Friday. Please be willing to commit to serving as the Food Program Coordinator for a minimum of 3 months.
- Help rescue fresh food and ensure local community members in need don’t go hunger.
- Learn about the impact of homelessness on our community.
- This volunteer opportunity is easily accessible by bus.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 3-4 hours each Friday afternoon