OMSI Physics Lab Volunteer (age 18+)
72 people are interested
OMSI's Turbine Hall features exhibits on engineering, technology, physics and space science, and is home to the Physics Lab and Laser/Holography Lab. Volunteers in the Physics Lab provide visitors with the opportunity learn about the fundamentals of physics as they participate in a variety of hands-on activities. Volunteers can also work in the Laser/Holography Lab, explaining the basics of holograms, lasers and coherent light to visitors.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from Turbine Hall exhibits and activities in the Physics Lab and Laser/Holography Lab
- Present Physics and/or Laser/Holography demonstrations to visitors, such as optical effects, vacuum chamber, electrostatics, and musical glasses.
- Assist in the maintenance and appearance of the hall and lab by organizing supplies for exhibits and keeping the space clean.
- Strong physical science, engineering, or teaching background.
- Strong communication and customer service skills; some presentation experience preferred.
- Committed to sharing accurate science information.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and age levels.
- Able to present science process and content in an engaging way to a broad age range.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and crowded environment.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
We'll work with your schedule.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
- Math / Science Instruction
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two 4 hours shifts per month, minimum of 9 months