OMSI Physics Lab Volunteer (age 18+)
69 people are interested
OMSI's Turbine Hall features exhibits on engineering, technology, physics and space science, and is home to the Physics Lab and Laser/Holography Lab. Volunteers in the Physics Lab provide visitors with the opportunity learn about the fundamentals of physics as they participate in a variety of hands-on activities. Volunteers can also work in the Laser/Holography Lab, explaining the basics of holograms, lasers and coherent light to visitors.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from Turbine Hall exhibits and activities in the Physics Lab and Laser/Holography Lab
- Present Physics and/or Laser/Holography demonstrations to visitors, such as optical effects, vacuum chamber, electrostatics, and musical glasses.
- Assist in the maintenance and appearance of the hall and lab by organizing supplies for exhibits and keeping the space clean.
- Strong physical science, engineering, or teaching background.
- Strong communication and customer service skills; some presentation experience preferred.
- Committed to sharing accurate science information.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and age levels.
- Able to present science process and content in an engaging way to a broad age range.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and crowded environment.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
We'll work with your schedule.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
- Math / Science Instruction
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two 4 hours shifts per month, minimum of 9 months