Purpose: The Sidekick will interact with and assist retired persons with disabilities. A Sidekick’s presence enhances the experience of an activity for persons with a disability, and increases the number of individuals who can participate.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- A Sidekick is assigned to spend time with one to three retired person(s) and assist as necessary with things like:
- Reading, talking, or listening
- Playing cards or board games
- Doing arts, crafts and other activities
- Attending other volunteer opportunities or recreational
events in the community
- A Sidekick is assisted by and defers to Kaposia staff regarding medical, emotional or personal care of a retired person
Reports to: Kaposia Retirement Services Community Specialist
Time Commitment: One day per week (M, Tu or Th) for four hours (9:00am-1:00pm), sometimes less, for a minimum of five weeks. Each Sidekick is asked to commit to a minimum of one day per week for a period of five weeks. After five weeks, each Sidekick can recommit for another five weeks or more, contingent on the approval of Kaposia staff.
Qualifications: Dependability, pleasant manner, patience.
Age Requirement: 18 or older
Support: Training for this position will be provided; including information on vulnerable adult policy, safety & emergency procedures, and data privacy.
Security Checks Required: MN Department of Human Services Background Study
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours/day, 1 day/week, 5 weeks