Chicago Greeter is a FREE service that matches visitors to Chicago with a local volunteer called a "Greeter" for an insider's perspective of the city. Chicago Greeter "visits" are 2-4 hours and use walking and public transportation. Chicago Greeter is a welcoming service for visitors to Chicago - these are not the same as traditional tours. Greeter visits are informal, unscripted and based on the volunteer's own knowledge of Chicago, it is more like a friend showing you their city.
Chicago Greeter's are friendly, enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the City of Chicago! Becoming a Chicago Greeter requires no additional experience, just a passion for Chicago. Basic training is provided by the program.
- Do you love Chicago and want to volunteer to share your expertise and enthusiasm with visitors?
- Are you fluent in German, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish or have any other foreign language skills?
- Are you very familiar with Bridgeport, Beverly, Hyde Park, Albany Park, North Center and other neighborhoods outside of the Loop?
- Do you know a lot of hidden gems and lesser-known treasures that all visitors should experience?
- Are you available to lead Chicago Greeter visits between 10 am and 4 pm, and able to commit to at least 6 visits a year?
- Do you like making new friends from different cultures, countries and backgrounds?
If any of these sounds like you, we’d love for you to apply to be a Greeter! Simply fill an application form at www.chicagogreeter.com and a Chicago Greeter representative will get in touch with you.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 2-4 hours twelve times a year
- Must be comfortable with public transportation