Lunch Cook - Prepare a meal and deliver to On The Rise!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
113 people are interested
LUNCH VOLUNTEERS NEEDED YEAR ROUND!
For the women at On The Rise, a healthy and hearty meal enjoyed in a safe home is invaluable. We rely on the kind hearts and culinary talents of volunteers to cook a meal in their kitchen and deliver to ours. This volunteer opportunity is available 6 days per week and fills one of our greatest needs by being able to offer a home cooked meal to a woman who otherwise would not have many options.
As the women are as diverse as their palates, you choose what you would like to make; it is sure to be appreciated and enjoyed! To respect the privacy of our women, volunteers do not serve lunch at On The Rise. We set up family-style in our comfy kitchen and women help themselves.
To start, simply sign up using Meal Train (https://www.mealtrain.com/trains/92nmv) to view open dates.
We recently asked our women what food they miss while being homeless. Here’s a few ideas:
- "Healthy options, like salads with meats and veggies."
- "I miss the parties my father held during sports games - tailgating foods."
- "Vegetarian meals, I didn’t eat meat growing up."
- "I miss the BBQ’s we had in our yard, I like BBQ all year round!"
- "International flavors, like, Chinese, Indian and Mexican."
- "I like creating a wrap or sandwich that I can fill with meats, veggies and sauces of my choice."
- Entree should serve around 20 women, sides and dessert are optional
- Fresh and nutritious fruit is encouraged with lunch donations
- Label ingredients for women who must be aware of dietary restrictions
- Prepare items in disposable containers or label dishes with your name; we will clean and have ready for pick-up
- Refrain from cooking with alcohol
- Provide instructions if we need to reheat; kindly do not deliver raw or uncooked items
- Drop-off between 8am - 11am to 341 Broadway; our door is bright red. If you need to deliver the day prior, please call to make an appointment. In a hurry? Call ahead and we’ll meet you curbside to accept your donation!
Any questions? Contact email@example.com or 617-497-7968 ex. 36
About On The Rise, Inc.
341 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139, US
On The Rise supports the initiative and strength of women living in crisis or homelessness. In a physically and psychologically safe environment, we build the relationships and provide the tools that each woman needs to rise to her potential.
On The Rise is dedicated to working with women who lack a permanent and secure, psychologically and physically safe space to live and whose needs cannot be fully addressed by traditional providers.
Our goal is to offer services that enable these women to increase their sense of self-efficacy and to move off the streets. We focus on building interdependent relationships that help hold the women together, that help them sustain growth, and that support and nurture improvements in quality of life. We help women craft solutions for their individual situations and actively involve homeless and formerly homeless women in the design and implementation of our program.
Our Outreach/Safe Haven program provides tangible aid and long-term, broad-based support to women. The program is centered around our daytime Safe Haven, which:
- Provides a psychologically and physically safe space six days a week where women can begin to explore the steps they need to take to leave the streets and increase their quality of life;
- Offers long-term, broad-based support as women take these steps;
- Eases women's access of and transition into more specialized programs and eventually off the streets;
- Helps each woman rise to her full individual potential in her own way and at her own pace;
- Builds community among a diverse group of women;
- Helps women reintegrate into the larger community in meaningful ways.
We also work to build coalitions and collaborations with other agencies and the larger community through community outreach and education, and joint projects. By connecting with other providers, we are able to help women gain access to shelter and specialized services while we concentrate our resources on what we do best: building relationships with and providing support to our communityÃ¢Â Â s most disenfranchised women. Each year, 400 women have contact with On The Rise, and 150 to 200 work with us in-depth for an extended period. Since our programming began in 1996, On The Rise has helped more than 750 women find safety and discover new possibilities. What we do is different, and it works. We are innovative, we are effective, and we are accountable.
We'll work with your schedule.
Deliver Food To:341 BroadwayCambridge, MA 02139
- Cooking / Catering
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Food & Beverage Services
- People 55+