Volunteer Position: Pear Blossom Place Overnight Host
Hours: 7 pm to 7 am
Hours Per Week: 12- 24 hours per week unless additional hours requested
Summary Volunteer Description:
Act as an overnight host at Pear Blossom Place, the largest emergency homeless family shelter in Thurston County. A 3-hour shelter training is provided. All Hosts are scheduled with a second Host, and have access to a 24-hour back-up staff for support. Additional office training/support provided.
- Participate in 3 hour volunteer training, and complete a "training" shift at shelter
- Remain up-to-date on shelter procedures to ensure you obtain list of guests screened for your volunteer shift, have access to shelter and shelter rules, and any special notes or updates needed to keep the shelter safe and secure.
- Arrive at the shelter before shift to obtain information from Greeters about status of shelter and guests.
- Welcome and check in guests on shelter list only, ensuring only those who have been screened in gain entry to the shelter.
- Assist guests with obtaining needed supplies, following rules, and maintaining a safe and secure shelter.
- Ensure the shelter doors remain closed and locked at all times, and shelter rules are followed.
- Note guest arrival times on guest list, and note those who did not show.
- Answer calls you may receive on the shelter line, providing resources and referrals to callers, and screening families into shelter when space permits.
- Mediate any minor disputes, and/or attend to minor difficulties among the guests. Call the back-up staff as needed for support.
- Keep Family Support Center staff advised of guest arrivals, no-shows, and a brief summary of shelter activity during shift.
- Remain at the shelter overnight until 7am (9am on weekends). Note: Overnight hosts are allowed to sleep, but need to be accessible to handle issues or accept new overnight guests
- Must be over the age of 18 with no criminal record.
- Complete a Volunteer/Intern Application.
- Must be willing to be in a "No Smoking" facility throughout shift and abstain from smoking.
- Must be willing to adhere to and enforce shelter rules while meeting the needs of the guests.
- Must pass criminal background check.
Commit to at least one shift per month for a minimum of three months.
- Youth Services
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 12 hour shifts, 1/month for at least 3 months