Many families with young children aren’t able to provide the support they so desperately want to give to their children because of a variety of pressures combined with a lack of support. At VOA Oregon’s Family Relief Nursery (FRN), we work to reduce that pressure through providing resources and parent support so the family can stay strong and healthy.
You can be an immediate support to children by providing caring, affirmation, and structure. This is a great way to feel the joyful energy young children bring, learn vital skills to supporting their growth, and get an insider’s look at social work and early childhood education in action.
Classroom Assistant: Pair up with a classroom teacher to support an age-specific therapeutic classroom. Learn our unique intervention model, expand the type and depth of activities, provide 1:1 support, and be the adult a young child connects with while they grow and learn.
All training is provided - all you need is a love of children, willingness to learn through practice and modeling, and ability to commit to a weekday morning for at least six months.
Inner SE Location (234 SE 7th Ave Portland)
- Thursday mornings-Preschool room
- Friday mornings-All ages (6 weeks-5 years old)
Outer SE Location (2609 SE 136th Ave Portland)
- Monday, Wednesday mornings-Preschool rooms
- Tuesday, Thursday mornings-Infant room
VOA Oregon's Family Relief Nursery is a prevention/intervention program that helps to stop the cycle of child abuse & neglect while also providing development assessments and a therapeutic nursery/preschool environment for children ages six weeks through five years. The program provides skills training, respite care, and home visits to assist families in re-establishing a safe, caring home environment.
- Crisis Intervention
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Child Welfare
- Child Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hrs / week, M-Th mornings, for 6 months
- Communications Specialist
- Volunteer at the Men's...
- Support a Young Child at the...
- Spanish speaking! Support a...
- Brighten our children's day with...
- Assist parents in recovery in...
- Assist with day activities for...
- Provide engaging childcare while...
- Women's Residential Recovery...
- Trauma-Informed Drop-In Services...
- Create a welcoming environment...
- Bring joy to youth while riding...
- Assist with Day Activities for...