OMSI Special Event Volunteer (18+)
119 people are interested
Want to enjoy OMSI's special events from an insider's perspective? Join us as a Special Event Volunteer! Special Event Volunteers provide customer service and general support for a variety of special events at OMSI. Most special events take place on evenings and weekends. Volunteers in this role commit to volunteering for at least two special events per month for a minimum of nine months. Because of the changing nature of OMSI's special events, duties may vary considerably. Flexibility and enthusiasm are a must!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet visitors and welcome them to the museum during special events.
- Take tickets and assist visitors in understand the layout of the museum or event space.
- Give clear directions and provide information about different activities happening throughout the museum or during the event.
- Check out wheelchairs and strollers to visitors as needed.
- Facilitate activities and demonstrations for different age groups
- Assist event coordinators with clerical tasks associated with events as needed.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Skillful in facilitating use of exhibits and translating scientific information age-appropriately.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Currently seeking volunteers 18 years of age.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
We'll work with your schedule.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Event Management
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per month (2 shifts)