Join the Lower East Side arts community by becoming a volunteer at Cuchifritos Gallery + Project Space ! Through monthly artist/curator discussions, visitor engagement, and community outreach, our volunteers develop their interest and understanding of the non-profit local arts organization, while providing general operative assistance for our artist and curator-centered gallery.
Cuchifritos Gallery + Project Space is dedicated to supporting and strengthening the careers of emerging and underrepresented artists and independent curators . Uniquely situated inside the Essex Street Market, Cuchifritos’ position o utside of the borders and confines of traditional art venues compels artists, curators and audience members to interrogate , study and analyze questions of ethics, immigration, ecology, and power amongst the orderly chaos of the market space. Cuchifritos responds to and reflects the environment it inhabits, preserving the collaborative artistic spirit of the LES. Our dedicated team of volunteers team serves an integral role in ensuring we continue to meet this mission.
Commitment: 3 months during which volunteers choose their own schedule (Tues-Sun 12-6)
Duties include: gallery sitting; familiarization with the work on-view; engaging visitors and answering related questions; assisting artists and curators with install/de-install; updating social media accounts; promoting community engagement; event photography
To become a Cuchifritos volunteer , please introduce yourself using the following form:
1. What motivates you to volunteer at Cuchifritos? Select up to 3 options ( underline your options)
a. Personal satisfaction
b. Being part of a community
c. Acquire new skills and experiences
d. Increase employment prospects
e. Social and professional networking
f. Apply and share existing capacities and skills
g. Want to better understand the non-profit or gallery world
h. Other (write in)
2. Please describe any previous volunteer experience. Including Institution/Organization name, position, tasks performed and dates.
3. List other activities, organizations, clubs, blogs or groups in which you belong/participate.
4. What makes your volunteer experience at Cuchifritos more fulfilling?
5. What is your current profession and/or professional aspiration? A brief description will help us evaluate how to better engage you in the gallery, if it is of interest to you.
6. Availability to volunteer at Cuchifritos. Select all that apply. ( Underline your options)
a. Tuesday 12-6pm
b. Wednesday 12-6pm
c. Thursday 12-6pm
d. Friday 12-6pm
e. Saturday 12-6pm
f. Sunday 12-6pm
Thank you so much for your interest. We cannot wait to meet you!
- Exhibition Arts
- Social Media / Blogging
- Basic Computer Skills
- Arts Administration
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 3 months, one day every other week