For many new immigrants, learning English is a first step to full participation in American society. Help them take that first step by becoming a volunteer teacher in English or Citizenship classes. English classes help students improve their communication skills. Citizenship classes help students prepare for the U.S. citizenship test. Volunteers work in teams to plan lessons and teach the class. This fun and rewarding experience gives you a chance to make a difference in the lives of others. Individuals with an interest in education careers are encouraged to apply.
- Must have good communication skills and a strong desire to help and work with new immigrants
- Prior teaching experience is preferred.
- Have an interest in developing teaching skills
- Bilingual skills are a plus.
- We prefer volunteers who can commit to teaching at least two semesters
- Prospective volunteers must complete application and be interviewed.
- 9:30 am-11:30pm (Tues or Thurs)
- 1pm to 4pm (Saturday)
- 6:30pm to 8:00 (Tues or Wed)
Summer 2016 - July 13, 2016 to September 21, 2016
Fall 2016 - September 24, 2016 to December 15, 2016
Spring 2017 - February 22, 2017 to May 24, 2017
Prospective volunteers must complete application and will be interviewed. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application OR apply on-line here:
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week plus preparation time
- Interest in furthur developing teaching skills