145 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: Rape Crisis Center
Please visit the new page to apply.
145 people are interested
We are looking for people who are passionate about supporting survivors of sexual violence to help staff our helpline. Helpline advocates are vital to RCC’s mission and play a crucial role in our ability to provide 24/7 immediate support to victims of sexual assault. Many times, all a survivor wants is a compassionate and nonjudgmental ear to talk to. As a helpline advocate, you will often be the first point of contact for survivors when they are reaching out for help. No experience is necessary, our 15+ hour training process will equip you with all the necessary skills including compassionate listening, crisis intervention, and trauma-informed practices.
We require a one year/1 shift per month commitment from all new volunteers. Once volunteers are approved to staff the helpline, they begin fulfilling their commitment by signing up for helpline shifts which run from 7pm-7am (every night of the week- volunteers are allowed to sleep during overnight shifts) as well as from 9-5 on Saturdays and Sundays. There will be downtime in between calls and so you are welcome to bring a book, laptop, crossword puzzle, etc. to keep yourself occupied. You have the option of staffing a volunteer shift alone or with another volunteer. There will always be an RCC staff member on call available to support you throughout your shift.
* Completion of RCC’s volunteer training program
* General understanding of, or interest in learning about, issues related to sexual violence
* Ability to respond to callers in a supportive manner
* Must be at least 18 years old
Duties & Responsibilities
* One-year commitment
* Check-ins with on-call advocate each shift, and with direct supervisor as needed
*Complete at least 1 helpline shift a month
* Provide support by phone to victim/survivors of sexual violence and/or childhood sexual abuse, their support people and concerned community members
* Provide accurate information about community resources to helpline callers. Make referrals when appropriate.
* Follow all RCC guidelines, policies and procedures for the helpline as well as those outlined in the volunteer handbook
More opportunities with Rape Crisis Center
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Rape Crisis Center
2801 Coho Street, Suite #301, Madison, WI 53713, US
The purpose of RCC is to work to eliminate sexual violence and enhance self-determination by providing a supportive environment for all people who have been affected by the continuum of sexual violence. We take action by providing financially accessible services including prevention, education, networking, intervention, counseling and advocacy through the united efforts of staff, volunteers, and members of the community.
Rape Crisis Center offers support and information for anyone who has experienced past or recent sexual assault.
Meriter HospitalMadison, WI 53715
May 4, 2023
- People Skills
- Crisis Counseling
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Problem Solving
- Social Work
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least one shift per month a year.