Playspace Program Internship- Rotating Shift Support
Each intern supports one of the following areas:
Brockton & Stoughton
Middleboro, Taunton & Attleboro
New Bedford & Fall River
Cape Cod (Bourne, Falmouth & Hyannis)
Route 3 (Weymouth, Norwell, Marshfield, Kingston
Horizons for Homeless Children is an independent, non-profit organization exclusively dedicated to providing early care and education services for homeless children and support services for their families in an atmosphere of safety, nurturance, and stability. The Horizons for Homeless Children Playspace Program provides playrooms for children living in area shelters and recruits and trains volunteers to play with the children in those Playspaces.
The Rotating Shift Support (RSS) will provide onsite support and training to volunteers or Playspace Activity Leaders (PALS). The RSS Intern will work 8-10 hours per week (including 2-3 evenings) and attend 2 - 4 shifts a week, depending on time and location, along with some office time to support the work of the Playspace Volunteer Manager and Director. The interns will use their Early Childhood Development background and skills to offer tailored on-site support, guidance and advice to our PALs. This support will vary - sometimes it might mean running an activity with a group of kids demonstrating to PALs how to run similar activities, guiding PALs on appropriate language to use etc. Other times it might simply mean volunteering alongside the PALs and just fielding questions the PALs might have about behavior management strategies or things to do with parachutes! You’ll then provide considered feedback to the relevant Programs Manager about the shift.
What we are looking for in you:
- Knowledge: Specifically Early Childhood knowledge (although other knowledge is good as well!) and the ability to put this knowledge into practice. The ideal person will love kids, have experience working them and be willing to learn about the specific needs of homeless children.
- Flexibility: Our shifts run Monday - Thursday, some from 9:30-11:30 but the majority are 5:30-7:30 or 6.00 - 8.00pm. The ideal candidate will be willing to flex which days they volunteer and what times. We can be flexible too and there is scope for you to set your own schedule according to the needs we identify.
- Personability: You’ll be interacting with a lot of people from many different backgrounds so a friendly, approachable manner is vital.
- Sensitivity: You’ll be going into existing shifts where the PALs have potentially been volunteering for years. We don’t want them to feel like we’re mandating how they should run things or criticizing what they’re doing, just that we care and are there to offer support and guidance where appreciated.
- A car: Most of our shelters are not easily accessible by public transport, so access to a car and a license to drive is required. You will be reimbursed for mileage covered when visiting shifts.
- Feedback: Following your shift visits, you’ll be feeding back to the relevant Volunteer Manager on any further support needed by the specific shifts.
- This is an unpaid internship
- We are open to working with your Faculty Internship Advisor to help you earn academic credit
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Must be 18 years old and completed at least one academic year of study at the college level
- Able to commit to at least one semester
- Data entry experience and knowledge of Microsoft Word, Access, & Excel
- Experience and/or interest with children 0-6.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Excellent telephone skills
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Strong interest in working with volunteer programs, child development, homelessness, or "at risk" populations
- Valid driver’s license and access to a car
- Willing to travel to our sites located throughout Southeastern, MA
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
Playspace Program Southeast Region Director
Horizons for Homeless Children
- Child Development
- Data Entry
- Program Management
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6-10 hours per week.