Playspace Programs Northeast Region
Beginning Fall 2017
Horizons for Homeless Children (HHC) is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of young homeless children and their families. HHC provides early care and education services for homeless children and support services for their families in an atmosphere of safety, nurturance, and stability. HHC's Playspace Programs provide Playspaces for children living in family shelters across the state and recruit and train volunteers to play with the children in those Playspaces.
The Playspace Programs Intern is responsible for assisting with recruitment, training and retention of volunteers. Additionally, the intern assists with the maintenance and restocking of 24 Playspaces across northeastern MA (including shelters in the Merrimack Valley and the North Shore). This opportunity is part-time and requires a commitment of approximately 8-12 hours per week. This is an unpaid internship. The assignment begins in January 2016.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Assist with the recruitment of volunteers for the Northeast region's Playspace Programs through outreach activities, visibility events, community outreach, mailings and distributing flyers, media venues, and volunteer fairs
- Assist with PAL trainings (registration, materials and training packets)
- Assist with volunteer events, activities and workshops
- Assist with the installation and opening of new Playspaces and refurbishment of existing Playspaces
- Assist in the sorting, selecting and managing in-kind donations to be used in the Playspaces
- Assist in the maintenance, inventory and restocking of Playspace Programs storerooms
- Assist in strengthening relationships with PALs through appreciation efforts to help foster volunteer retention
- Administrative and other tasks as necessary
- This is an unpaid internship.
- This is a great opportunity to gain knowledge about early childhood education and the needs and challenges facing homeless families.
- You will also gain important experience in the non-profit field, build your resume, and expand your network for when you are ready to apply for a job.
- We are open to working with your Faculty Internship or Practicum Advisor to help you get academic credit.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Must be at least 18 years old and have completed at least one academic year of study at the college level
- Data entry experience and knowledge of Microsoft Word, Access & Excel (preferred)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Team player
- Excellent telephone skills
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Strong interest in working with volunteer programs, child development, homelessness or "at risk" populations
- Valid driver's license and access to a car
- Willing to travel to our sites located throughout northeastern MA (Lowell, Lawrence, North Shore, MetroNorth and more), and occasional travel to the main office in Roxbury
Send resume and cover letter to:
Northeast Region Playspace Program Director
Horizons for Homeless Children
60 Island Street
Horizons for Homeless Children is an AA/EEO employer.
- Problem Solving
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Child Care
- Relationship Building
- Data Entry
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Approx. 8-12 Hours per week; Flexible scheduling
- Training, CORI, SORI, Reference Checks