Help UniversalGiving’s NGO team ensure top-quality services through research, outreach, and execution of UniversalGiving’s Quality Model.
UniversalGiving™, an award-winning global social-entrepreneurship nonprofit organization, is seeking a NGO Services Intern to join our exciting team. The NGO Services Intern plays a critical strategic and operational role in outreach, research, and implementation of UniversalGiving’s Quality Model. Before a non-governmental organization (NGO) is published on our website, NGO Services verifies information about the NGO and ensures it is top-performing. As an NGO Services Intern, you will gain valuable skills in seeing how nonprofits are run.
UniversalGiving™ internships offer exciting opportunities to those wishing to make a significant impact and contribution to our global communities. Join UniversalGiving and work closely with a dedicated international team, while gaining valuable skills in a social-entrepreneurship nonprofit organization.
"Working with UniversalGiving has given me the chance to participate in critical aspects of business management and partnership facilitation, which are opportunities that would definitely be off-limits to "the intern" at most corporations. The friendly and ultra-supportive executive team here wants their interns to contribute to the main goals and aspirations of UniversalGiving in important ways and helps them to do so, which is what makes working here so rewarding and fun - so fun, in fact, that I will continue to be a part of their team even after leaving the San Francisco office!" --- Emily Stehr, UG Representative at Princeton University, Summer Intern
UniversalGiving™ is an award-winning website allowing people to donate and volunteer with top performing projects all over the world. Our projects are vetted through a proprietary Quality Model™ to ensure the most effective, trustworthy philanthropy possible. Unique to UniversalGiving, we take no cut on donations. 100% of your donation goes directly to the cause.
Located in the heart of San Francisco, UniversalGiving has been profiled on CBS and in FOX Business Network, and has also been featured in BusinessWeekFast Company, CSRWire, WomenEntrepreneur, Oprah.com, NBC News, The Christian Science Monitor, The New York Times, The Financial Times, MarketWatch, CNNMoney.com, Change.org and See Change Magazine. UniversalGiving™ is the 2010 winner of the Opportunity Knocks' Best Nonprofit to Work for Award.
CEO Pamela Hawley is a winner of the Jefferson Award (the Nobel Prize in Community Service) and was selected as one of 50 leaders to the White House's Next Generation Leadership and Social Innovation event. She is also a Finalist for Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year Award, and a Colburn S. Wilbur Leadership Fellow at the Global Ethics Institute. She has been chosen as a Fast Company Expert Blogger on CSR.
Duration: Minimum 15-20 hours per week, ideal candidate is available Tuesday through Friday 9am-5pm for the duration of the internship (3-4 mo internship). Ideal candidates are available to work in our downtown San Francisco office.
- Determine which NGOs fit UniversalGiving’s Quality Model prior to being published
- Verify EIN numbers with IRS list of legitimate organizations
- Verify organizations’ financial information
- Verify compliance with U.S. Patriot Act
- Verify affiliations
- Conduct research on and outreach to new NGO partners based on NGO Strategy
- Manage NGO profiles on-line, making sure they are up-to-date and accurate
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Computer skills, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in a collaborative/team based environment
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Interest in nonprofit work, international issues, and philanthropy
- Full support of the mission and vision of UniversalGiving™
- Experience working at a unique global, social-entrepreneurship nonprofit
- Collaboration within a positive team environment
- Increased understanding of and alignment with global issues
- Networking with other nonprofit professionals
- Career mentoring with Pamela Hawley, Founder & CEO of UniversalGiving™
- For students, class credit can be arranged according to school requirements
Email your resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with "NGO Services Intern/Volunteer" in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
UniversalGiving™ is committed to understanding and representing the diverse populations it serves worldwide. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization. We believe that a diverse team will best serve our diverse populations.
UniversalGiving’s vision is to "Create a World Where Giving and Volunteering Are a Natural Part of Everyday Life."™
For more information please visit:
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment