- Looking for a way to "give back"?
- Wanting to really impact the life of a student?
- Interested in health & fitness?
YOU can Change a Life. Be a mentor! The life you change may be your own.
Friend Fitness may be just the fit for you! Visit us at www.YouthMP.org
- Adult Volunteers
- Mature Students, Grade 11-12
What: One-on-One, Group & Peer Mentoring
- Thursdays 5:00-7:00pm
- Sundays 10:00-12:00pm
- Conestoga High School, Berwyn, PA
- CrossFit Inspire, Malvern, PA
ARE YOU READY TO CHANGE A LIFE, INCLUDING YOUR OWN?
Friend Fitness is a fitness-based youth mentoring program partnering students, in grades 6-12, one-on-one with positive volunteer role models. These adult and peer mentors help students set/reach fitness, academic, social and behavioral goals. Through intense weekly workouts, kids discover what it takes to achieve their goals. Students are primarily referred by school counselors, parents, or other youth-serving professionals because they would benefit from the additional support of a positive, caring adult role-model.
Friend Fitness is unique for:
-Focusing on student-led goal-setting, planning & achievement
-Intense, physical workouts in a gym setting
-Applying contingent reinforcement ("earned" recognition)
-Providing one-on-one, peer & group mentoring
-Nurturing a positive/accepting environment promoting volunteerism
Times of Operation:
Workouts occur year-round on Thursdays, 5:30-7:00pm and Sundays, 10:30am-Noon. In the summer (June-August), workouts are on Mondays and Thursdays 5:30-7:00pm. Mentors, students, and staff meet for twice-weekly structured workout sessions. Mentors and Students are expected to attend a minimum of one workout per week. Site-specific workouts occur simultaneously at UMLY, CHS, YMCA @ Great Valley.
Special recognition/volunteering events and Group Workouts, where parents/guardians, as well as former students, are invited, occur throughout the year and may take place outside of regular workout times/locations.
Duration of Participation:
Mentors must commit to a minimum of 1 year of involvement to be matched with a student. On average, mentor/student matches spend over 110 hours together annually and matches last 2 to 2.5 years.
Friend Fitness has year-round rolling student in-take and graduation. Relationships are structured to last a minimum of one year. Many students start in middle school and remain through high school graduation. Some students become peer mentors in their junior/senior year of high school. Others may successfully transition out of the program in advance of high school graduation once determined capable/motivated to do so. A small number of students leave the program because they are unable to fulfill their participation commitment.
Currently, over 90 students and 50 mentors participate in Friend Fitness. By the end of 2011, our goal is to have over 120 students and over 80 mentors!
As a Friend Fitness mentor, you will help a young person may realize for the first time that he/she . . .
- has potential
- is capable, confident and self-assured
- values education and the learning process
- can be healthy and value their physical fitness
- has someone in their lives who cares about them
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- 1 - 1.5 hrs ; 1 - 2 times per week
- Looking for a way to...
- BE A MENTOR - Change Lives...
- Are you looking to Give-back?...
- Work near the Great Valley Corp....
- Got grit? Teach kids in Philly...
- Military Background? Your...
- Do you speak Spanish? We need...
- Got grit? Teach kids the passion...
- SITE COORDINATOR NEEDED for...
- Got grit? Be a Friend Fitness...
- If you are MALE, we NEED you! ...