Volunteer Van Driver for Veterans in Augusta to the Charlie Norwood Veterans Affairs Medical Center
14 people are interested
Van Driver for Veterans from their home to the Charlie Norwood Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Augusta, Georgia
(If you are interested in this position please send an email to: Donna.Ingram@va.gov for more information call 706-731-7256.)
2. Purpose of Assignment
The Van Driver is responsible for the safe and efficient transport of customers in passenger vans. Van Drivers must provide a superior customer service experience for each passenger. In this visible role, it is important that the Van Driver maintains a positive attitude and professional appearance at all times. The Van Driver reports to the Hospital Service Coordinator.
- Welcomes each customer with a smile.
- Treats all passengers in a courteous, friendly and professional manner.
- Operates passenger vans safely and efficiently.
- Follows scheduled routes, chartered routes or responds to requests from management for unscheduled pick-ups or drop-offs.
- Kindly assists passengers in boarding and exiting the vehicle.
- Reports accidents, safety situations, vehicle condition, or damage to the Hospital Service Coordinator.
- Inspects exterior and interior of vehicle at beginning of each shift for properly operating headlights, turn signals, brake lights, interior lighting, air conditioning or heating, mirror adjustment, properly inflated tires, windshield wipers, etc. prior to driving the van
- Ensures that both inside and outside of the vehicle are properly cleaned.
- Responsible for keeping van fueled and turning in gas receipts to Hospital Service Coordinator
- Use direct routes (side trips not authorized, i.e., stopping for food, running errands, etc.
- Accurately completes driver trip sheet for each shift with information including driver number, vehicle number, number of passengers, pick-up and drop-off times, mileage, destinations, etc.
4. Time Commitment
6:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. shift or 11:30-4:30 p.m. shift one weekday weekly - Augusta local drivers
We will take what you can give!
6:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. one weekday weekly - Drivers serving outlying areas
5. Skill Requirements
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Pass an official motor vehicle record check
- Pass a background check provided by our Medical Center
- Successful completion of physical exam provided by our Medical Center
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a courteous.
- Problem solving skills and ability to make sound decisions.
6. Training and Skill Development
- Initial and annual volunteer training.
- Annual safe driver training
- Fleet card training
- Initial ride along with experienced driver
Volunteer reports to: Hospital Service Coordinator
Feedback: Annual written
* Refuse transportation for Veterans not ready/present for transportation to/from VA facility ????
Where/what’s provided: Office located at Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center, 1 Freedom Way, Augusta, GA 30904. Vehicle is provided along with fleet card for fuel and other authorized purchases.
- Breakfast and lunch provided
- Structured recognition/awards program
- Annual Flu Shot at no cost
- Eligible to join credit union
- Make tax-free purchases in Canteen store
We'll work with your schedule.
Augusta VA Medical Center1 Freedom WayAugusta, GA 30904
- Veteran Care
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training