Walking Tour Guide
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where425 NW 18th AvePortland, OR 97209
Lead walking tours around Nob Hill and the Pearl district, pointing out interesting historical information, city trivia, and other relevant information about Portland. To create the opportunity for travelers to learn about the historical and cultural relevance of the area and have an one-on-one encounter with a local. Local volunteers offer a unique insider’s perspective to our hostel guests.Benefits:
- Resume building experience and a letter of reference at the end of the assignment.
- Meet people from all over the world.
- Learn about local culture and history.
- Public speaking and foreign language building experience.
- Minimum of three hours per month for six months.
- Tours can be scheduled morning, afternoon & evenings (can be any day of the week).
- Consult with hostel activities coordinator for scheduling.
- Orientation on programs and activities provided by HI-Portland, Northwest Hostel.
- Training on group facilitation skills.
- Attend at least one HI-Portland, Northwest Hostel Walking Tour to observe process and techniques.
- Script and/or other written materials provided.
- Reports to HI-Portland, Northwest Hostel activities coordinator.
- Public Speaking
- People Skills
- Event Planning / Management
- Community Outreach
- Cross-cultural Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months
- We prefer (though do not require!) volunteers who have an interest in world travel and hostelling.