ZOO BOISE - Animal Care Volunteer
63 people are interested
Animals are the reason visitors attend Zoo Boise! Animal Care volunteers assist the Animal Care staff in creating a comfortable home for the animals and beautiful exhibits for visitors to see. They also speak with the public about our animals, our conservation program, and assist with public animal encounters.
Positions are available in the Africa/Penguin and Small Animal Kingdom/Pampas sections. Due to the danger involved, volunteers do not work in enclosures of large carnivores or inside primate enclosures.
General responsibilities include: exhibit maintenance (removing feces and bedding from exhibits and cleaning the glass), diet preparation and feeding some of the animals, animal observations, preparing animal enrichment, and opportunities to train in another section after one year of service.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must commit to one shift per week for one year
- Shift times are 8:00am - 12:00pm and 1:00pm - 5:00pm; Monday through Sunday
- Participate in a volunteer orientation
- Successfully complete an introductory period of 24 hours
- Pay a $40.00 program fee
- Submit an application and accept offered position after an interview
- Abide by all policies in the Volunteer Handbook
- Great customer service and ability to work well with visitors
- Good physical condition and able to lift 50 lbs.
- Willing to get dirty!
- Must submit a negative TB test at own expense
- Submit to a Federal background check
- Friends of Zoo Boise Annual Pass Holder - volunteers are eligible after a 24-hour introductory period
- Unlimited admission to Zoo Boise for extent of active volunteer service
- Reduced rates on Family and Grandparent passes
- Free or reduced admission to other participating zoos
- Subscription to Animal Tales newsletter and a subscription to our biweekly e-newsletter
- Exclusive entrance to signature events: Easter EGGstravaganza, Zoo Daze & Boo at the Zoo
- Discounts on education programs and purchases in the Zootique gift shop
- Zoo Boise day passes - Volunteers can receive one pass for every 15 volunteer hours completed
- Pride in raising funds for and education about wildlife conservation.
Visit http://zooboise.org/support/volunteer/ to learn more and fill out an application today!
About Zoo Boise
355 Julia Davis Dr, Boise, ID 83702, US
Zoo Boise connects our visitors with animals to inspire and involve our community in the conservation of wildlife worldwide.
Zoo Boise is a service of the City of Boise and is supported by the Friends of Zoo Boise, a 501(c)(3) membership organization that supports Zoo Boise in the area of animal acquisition, capitol improvement projects, education programs, volunteer opportunities, and special events. The goal of each of these components is to increase public awareness, knowledge, and appreciation of the zoo, wild animals, animal habitats, species conservation and the environment.Zoo Boise is accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA). Look for the AZA logo whenever you visit a zoo or aquarium as your assurance that you are supporting a facility dedicated to providing excellent care for animals, a great experience for you, and a better future for all living things.
We'll work with your schedule.
355 Julia Davis DrBoise, ID 83702
- Animal Care / Handling
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One four hour shift per week
- 6-month commitment minimum