SenioReach Program Volunteer/Intern - work with our Senior population!
Heartland Human Care Services - A Company of Heartland Alliance
SenioReach Program Intern/Volunteer
Reports to: Director of Comprehensive Senior Services
Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights helps people living in poverty or danger to improve their lives and realize their human rights. From a refugee fleeing violence and torture to a resident of public housing trying to escape the cycle of poverty, Heartland Alliance helps people in the toughest of circumstances--who often have no place else to go. For more than 120 years, Heartland Alliance has provided hope, opportunity, and solutions--through both services and advocacy. Our work spans across four key areas [housing, health care, legal protections, and economic opportunity], creating paths from crisis to stability and on to success.
SenioReach SM provides comprehensive services to seniors (55 years and older) from diverse socio-economic and cultural communities within metropolitan Chicago. These services include: benefits checkups, educational programs, assessments and resource referrals.
We are searching for an unpaid intern/volunteer to contribute to the development and rapid growth of the SenioReach program. The Program Intern would have the opportunity to gain experience in the following areas:
Skill Outcomes and Responsibilities include:
- Conduct outreach activities in the community.
- Conduct benefits checkups via the NCOA (National Change of Address) on-line tool.
- Assist seniors with applying for eligible benefits.
- Develop and co-facilitate education presentations with the SenioReach SM Director.
- Attend various community events and committee meetings.
- Coordinate the production and assembly of grant proposals.
- Assist with other projects, reports, and development tasks as necessary.
- Preferred, but not required to be pursuing and/or have obtained Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with a focus on social services.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Interest in working with seniors in diverse socio-economic and cultural communities.
- Patience and flexibility.
- Interest and/or experience in conducting educational workshops-a plus.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Ability to travel within metropolitan Chicago.
- 15-20 hours per week availability, minimum three-month commitment.
About Heartland Human Care Services - A Company of Heartland Alliance
4411 N. Ravenswood and 5715 W. Belmont, Chicago, IL 60640, US
To achieve freedom from want, fear, and injustice for people marginalized by poverty, displacement, or situations of vulnerability by developing and providing a continuum of services that meet basic needs, build strengths, safeguard human rights, and provide opportunities for positive change.
Heartland Human Care Services (HHCS) is the human services partner of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a servicebased human rights organization that provides material assistance to meet basic human needs and other services and advocacy that foster empowerment, societal participation, and self-sufficiency. HHCS delivers a variety of services to newly-arrived refugees, asylees and immigrants through its Refugee & Immigrant Community Services (RICS). RICS is comprised of a dedicated, multi-lingual and multi-cultural staff with diverse backgrounds and expertise in the refugee and immigrant fields.