History Center Volunteer - School Tour Guide
165 people are interested
School Tour Guide Volunteers lead groups of children and adults on a fun exploration through the museum’s galleries. Volunteer shifts are weekdays, Monday - Friday, 10am - 1pm. History Center tours explore Florida’s natural environment, indigenous and Native American tribes, pioneers, cattle & citrus, transportation & tourism, and African American history. Volunteers also facilitate 'mock’ courtroom trials, STEM challenges and classroom workshops.
REPORTS TO: Diane Masciale, Museum Services Coordinator
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Guide groups thru galleries telling the stories of the past to enlighten, uplift and inspire the present to build a better future
- Commit to volunteer an average of one day per week for tours, preferably minimum 12 months
- Attend Docent Training Sessions, choose one of the two set of dates:
DAY 1 January 16, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
DAY 2 January 17, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
DAY 1 January 28, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
DAY 2 January 29, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Docent Training Sessions: May TBD.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Curious about exploring 12,000 years of Central Florida’s rich history
- Friendly, adaptable, interested in speaking with museum guests of all ages
- Minimum Age 18 years
- Mobility needed for walking groups on a 2-hour tour through exhibits, multiple floors
- Previous experience with children helpful, but not required
BENEFITS AND AWARDS FOR ACTIVE VOLUNTEERS
Volunteer docents make a tremendous impact on the lives of over 15,000 students annually, many from title-1 schools who have never visited a museum before. In addition to the personal enrichment and growth we strive to provide volunteers, we offer a range of formal benefits:
- Engaging and rewarding experience working with children and adults
- Opportunities to gain museum work experience in a Smithsonian-affiliated institution
- Invitations to quarterly appreciation brunches, special exhibition tours, docent trainings & events, field trips
- Recognition during National Volunteer Appreciation Week each April
- A 10 percent Emporium store discount
- Free parking validation during scheduled volunteer shifts
After 100 hours of volunteer service:
- Individual Membership - Historical Society of Central Florida, Inc.
- Eligibility for The President’s Volunteer Service Award
"The children are always alert, really show their interest, and usually have lots of questions." Lou
"...as a Docent, it is a good feeling giving back to my Community. Become an Historian today and Volunteer. It is good for the heart." Stephanie
We'll work with your schedule.
Orange County Regional History Center65 East Central Blvd.Downtown OrlandoOrlando, FL 32801
- Teaching / Instruction
- Community Outreach
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Commit to volunteer one morning per week.
- Social Security Number: Pursuant to Section 119.07(5), Florida Statutes, Orange County Government