School Tour Guide Volunteers lead groups of children and adults on a fun exploration through the museum’s galleries. Volunteer shifts are weekdays, Monday - Friday, 10am - 1pm. History Center tours explore Florida’s natural environment, indigenous and Native American tribes, pioneers, cattle & citrus, transportation & tourism, and African American history. Volunteers also facilitate 'mock’ courtroom trials, STEM challenges and classroom workshops.
REPORTS TO: Diane Masciale, Museum Services Coordinator
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Guide groups on a 2-hour tour thru galleries telling the stories of the past to enlighten, uplift and inspire the present to build a better future
- Commit to volunteer an average of one day per week for tours, preferably minimum 12 months
- Attend Mandatory FALL Docent Training Sessions, choose one of the two set of dates:
DAY 1 Wed., September 26, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
DAY 2 Thursday, September 27, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
DAY 1 Monday, October 15, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
DAY 2 Tuesday, October 16, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
SPRING Docent Training Sessions: January 16-17, January 28-29, and May TBD.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Curious about exploring 12,000 years of Central Florida’s rich history
- Friendly, adaptable, interested in speaking with museum guests of all ages
- Minimum Age 18 years
- Mobility needed for walking groups on a 2-hour tour through exhibits, multiple floors
- Previous experience with children helpful, but not required
BENEFITS AND AWARDS FOR ACTIVE VOLUNTEERS
Volunteer docents make a tremendous impact on the lives of over 15,000 students annually, many from title-1 schools who have never visited a museum before. In addition to the personal enrichment and growth we strive to provide volunteers, we offer a range of formal benefits:
- Engaging and rewarding experience working with children and adults
- Opportunities to gain museum work experience in a Smithsonian-affiliated institution
- Invitations to quarterly appreciation brunches, special exhibition tours, docent trainings & events, field trips
- Recognition during National Volunteer Appreciation Week each April
- A 10 percent Emporium store discount
- Free parking validation during scheduled volunteer shifts
After 100 hours of volunteer service:
- Individual Membership - Historical Society of Central Florida, Inc.
- Eligibility for The President’s Volunteer Service Award
"The children are always alert, really show their interest, and usually have lots of questions." Lou
"...as a Docent, it is a good feeling giving back to my Community. Become an Historian today and Volunteer. It is good for the heart." Stephanie
- Customer Service
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Commit to volunteer one morning per week.
- Social Security Number: Pursuant to Section 119.07(5), Florida Statutes, Orange County Government